Tuesday, December 19, 2006

I've hit my limit. After five weeks of (perhaps) well-meaning but unbearably nosy people asking questions or making inappropriate comments about Huckle and his circumstances, including a nurse who said, "Oh, you poor little abused boy! I bet you're happy now," I'm done.

I was raised in the tradition of Minnesota Nice, with a dash of Southern hospitality, so my response prior to today was, "Isn't that an interesting way to look at life?" or, "Hmmm, you know, we just don't have that information," or, "Pardon me, but I must go feed the dogs/pick my nose/poop in your shoe."

Now, not everyone who pries says terrible things, but the questions and comments come often enough for a canned response, so I've come up with one.

Starting today, my response to the worst offenders, those who lack any sense of decency, is now, "Blow me."

So far, I've said it twice, and it felt good.

I'm sure I'll regain my manners in a day or so. But until then, the people around me will learn to tread a bit lighter than they have been.

4 comments:

Maggie said...

Not PC, but it must be so fun to say!

Liveinashoe said...

Haha!

Lauri said...

Best I've heard! I'm gonna pass that along to my friend.

Bacchus said...

LOL I love it. Although I couldn't say that in this city. I wouldn't be sure of the reply.

We've been amazed at how prodding some people can be. Of course we also get the "Which one is the daddy?"