Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Groove

Before Huckle came to us, we weren't planning on using daycare, since my work is done from home. Actually, we weren't planning on needing daycare or preschool because we were focusing on kids in the 6-16 range. So when Huck came around, we had our own little paradigm shift.

Huckle's a very social kid. We've yet to meet another boy his age in our neighborhood, just frilly little girls who look at trucks like they're the devil's rollerskates. The park is waaaay too cold right now to spend six hours a day there like we did a month ago. And Mommy is boring.

Hello, preschool! Two days a week, from 9 to 2:30. He starts today. We know he's enjoyed daycare before, so we're not too worried about his reaction. We spoke with him about going to school (he's very upset he won't be riding the schoolbus, but he needs something to look forward to at 5, right?), and so far, so good. The curriculum is based on the project approach from Reggio Emilia, Italy. We're going on the reccommendations of three PhDs in education, so if it sucks, I have someone to yell at.

I have no idea what I'll do with alone time. I can't tell if I'm looking forward to it or dreading it. Maybe I'll go back to the antique store we took a hopped-up-on-wassail-Huckle to on Thursday and buy some things from the nice people who didn't make us pay for the things that came-a-tumblin'-down when Huckster ran headlong into a display.

4 comments:

Maggie said...

Sounds like that will be a good chance for him to socialize and burn off some energy.

Yondalla said...

What will you do?

How about sit still and listen to the silence? It's a beautiful sound.

Bacchus said...

We are trying to get our son into daycare. Between waiting lists and my paranoia we haven't found one yet.

Baby R is very social and we don't have any other kids his age in our life. It is getting pretty obvious that he wants to play with more people than just us.

Lauri said...

OK-You can't just throw that out there and leave me hanging...WHAT STORE??? lol!

As for what to do, I could give you some ideas...I fantasize about that a lot. hee-hee! Yeah, I'm a big talker now, but I bet next August I'll be a weeping mass of empty nest syndrome when Claire goes to Kindergarten.